This is a new section added for our readers. Its purpose is to present vacation and leisure ideas. We will rely on our comrades for ideas and write ups on vacation spots, great trips, Space A information, travel tips, vacationer reviews, and the like.
Tell us about any deals
Good, bad, or indifferent. Rate your recent travels.
Hale Koa Hotel in Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii.
www.halekoa.com. A great spot right on Waikiki Beach in downtown
Honolulu. It features 2 high rise hotel units, restaurants, swimming
pools, tennis courts, parking garage, PX on premises, and nightly
Shades of Green at Walt Disney World
Shades of Green is an Armed Forces Recreation Center Resort, conveniently located on Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando, Florida. As an AFRC, it offers an economical means to enjoy the offerings of the various theme and water parks of Walt Disney World. The daily rates for rooms and suites are dramatically lower than those charged by the Disney properties, and are exempt from the high county and state room taxes. The on-site amenities include: two golf courses, two swimming pools, a fitness center, a small PX, a discount ticket counter for Disney and other local attractions, and quality restaurants. In addition, timely, free bus service is provided to Disney attractions, which include Magic Kingdom Park, Epcot -- Future World, Disney’s Hollywood Studios, Animal Kingdom Theme Park and Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach Water Parks. It’s a busy place, so reservations should be made well in advance. For detailed information, visit the Shades of Green web site at: http://www.shadesofgreen.org
Fourth Cliff Family Recreation Area
Operated by Hanscom AFB, Fourth Cliff is located between Boston and
Cape Cod on Massachusetts Bay. It is a 56 acre military seaside
resort with a beautiful beach. There are 13 modern year-round luxury
cottages or enjoy a rustic WWII vintage seasonal cabin. For the
traveler, there are 11 camper sites, and tenting areas. Class A
luxury cottages accommodate up to 10 people with a large living room
(w/TV), dining area, full kitchen w/microwave, and 2 bedrooms.
Bathrooms either have full bath or shower stall. All cottages have a
scenic water view. The very rustic seasonal B cabins will sleep at
least 6. A Rec Hall has a snack bar (pizza, etc.), beer & wine bar,
video games, table tennis, pool table & juke box. Heat is provided
in the year-round cabins during off season ONLY. Pets must be
tethered with rope or handheld leash and are not allowed in any
cottage or cabin or on the porches.
Reservations taken up to 90 days in advance (0900-1630, M-F, except holidays). Check-in 4:00pm; checkout 11:00am. A more detailed pamphlet can be ordered by writing to: Fourth Cliff Family Recreation Area, P.O. Box 479, Humarock, MA 02047 or by calling: 1-800-468-9547.
SPACE A Tips
• Remember if you are 65+, Medicare is not valid outside the U.S. Check on insurance policy to cover you in the event if a serious medical event while traveling overseas. Most travel agents sell limited policies. Get in touch with nearest military air terminal to check on military medical facilities and air evacuation possibilities.
• Don’t overlook the FREE military bus system to travel in Germany (i.e., between Ramstein AB and Rhein-Main AB). Vehicle Dispatcher 011-49-6371-47-5961.
• Free bus runs between RAF Mildenhall to Heathrow IAP and Gatwick in England
• Check for recreational and tour ticket sales on military installation.
• If waiting for a specific flight, always check with terminal several hours before to make sure the schedule has not changed.
• If you have signed up for Space-A flights for your return before your departure from the U.S. or elsewhere, be forewarned that if you fly out of that same terminal (i.e. Ramstein) during your vacation, your original request for return will be deleted from the computer. Should you wish to retain the earlier sign-up date, you should try departing from another terminal (i.e. Rhein-Main) in Frankfurt. Don’t forget to re-sign up for your trip home if you travel out of the terminal where you had planned to depart.
• The new system of FAX or online signup which has been added to the old methods of appearing in person has made it fair to all.
• Do not even try to travel when school is NOT in session.
• Make a phone call to see if “long term parking” has changed at the installation from which you will depart.
There are 3 travel web sites that are worthwhile checking out, they are:
These sites offer discounted rates to popular vacation destinations domestically and abroad.
Another tip to remember is if you are going to Hawaii, check out Bellows Air Station in Oahu. They have cabins for rent (price is very reasonable) right on a gorgeous beach and the facility has a small PX and cafeteria, and a golf driving range. It is only a 30 minute drive from the Hale Koa Hotel in Waikaki."